Friday, February 10, 2012

Keep the Gate Open



Newspapers continue to go plow through the gate, looking for the right path which will put them on the new road of how best to inform their readers. Some have stumbled upon some crystals, but no one has found the gold mine. The paper I write for has opened their gates wide in this quest, leaving behind most of their long time stringers (that's me) as well as an editor or two. I was told my stories would go into a folder to be passed along to the few on-staff reporters. What does that mean? Will they publish my all ready completed assignments and will I know about it? Or will they take my ideas and re-write them, then publish? If so, what are my rights? And, then, of course how many bridges do I want to burn along the way?

I try to only allow 24 hours tops when something doesn't go my way with my writing. Whether it's a rejection....really, how could they!.....or a source has folded....or in this case, who knows what might happen, it's just not happening today. My 24 hours have passed, time to walk through my own gate and see what's out there. Probably many things I haven't paid attention to. Many new ways of doing things I hadn't considered.

This blog popped up first in my mind. What to do with it...where to take it. Do I make it an outlet for the memoir I'm working on? That's a good idea. Do I use it for musings on writing and observations. Another good idea. I think it will be a bit of both. I can always morph off to another blog if I want.

At least this will keep me writing every day, which is my overall goal. I'll leave my gate a bit ajar for now, in case I need to come back and sit for bit to ponder what's next. That's whats nice about your own backyard. You can come and go as you please.

No comments:

Post a Comment